Be Well: Be Present




Image result for students using cellphones in school


The other day I was speaking in a Senior High Assembly.  In front of me were 246 Grade 10-12 students.  My talk was short, maybe 5 minutes long.  However, while I was speaking, I was in awe of the fact that I could see and feel all 492 eyes were on me - not anywhere else.  Much like you, I then thought, this is probably only due to the fact that I have the title, 'Headmaster,' and this is a part of an understanding positional authority or respect.  (I'm happy to report, I couldn't have been more wrong).  

When I finished speaking, I took a seat near the back where I could observe the rest of the Assembly.  The assembly went on for over an hour; there were student speeches, teacher announcements and celebrations of achievement.  Over the course of the 60+ minutes, not once did I observe a student become distracted by a digital device.  What is of note is that I am certain nearly every student had some sort of phone in their possession.

I truly believe that this behaviour and the responsibility is a part of a culture of understanding, interest and respect.  As we continue to think about a digital world, we need to continue to emphasize these human virtues of respect and responsibility.  As students, teachers and parents come together to create the boundaries which define appropriate engagement, we can all stay connected, engaged, together and well.

Below is an article from the Globe and Mail this week - Rundle College Society is featured in it.  I hope you enjoy.


Image result for globe and mail

(Below is an excerpt from the Globe and Mail article on September 27, 2019)





Comments