Week 8 | Book 8 - The Almanack of Naval Ravikant

 



Week 8 | Book 8
The Almanac of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
by Eric Jorgenson


In my life, there are only two books I can remember reading in a single sitting, On The Road, Catcher in the Rye.  This week, I get to add a third to this list, "The Almanac of Naval Ravikant," and I cannot wait to read it again.

Jorgenson takes a crack at capturing the incredible wisdom that is embodied in Ravikant's thinking, principles and actions.  The book weaves together conversations and tweets to create a deep and insightful look into how Ravikant has achieved both wealth and happiness.

I could write pages and pages about what I'm thinking about after enjoying this book, and I still might, but for now, here are a few of my favorite takeaways:

- Your brain needs time and space to be bored - this is where creative ideas come from.  Take boredom seriously, in fact, schedule it.  

- If you are going to create wealth, you need to put a value on your time and make decisions about how you use your time based on how valuable your time is.

- Personal principles and mental models are essential - our neurons and brain capacity is limited - so having mental models allows us to simplify our decision-making and maximize our brain's capacity.  

-  Learn to love to read.   Making reading a habit is a key to success.

- A Key Happiness Strategy: Only hang around people who are happy, after all, you are simply a combination of the people you spend the most time with.

With that, I am going to resist the urge to carry on.  All I'll say is this - this book may change the way you look at wealth, happiness, learning, reading, philosophy and at least one hundred other things.








Comments