Week 3 | Book 3 - Soundtracks: The Surprising Solution To Overthinking


Soundtracks: The Surprising Solution To Overthinking

by Jon Acuff

"Soundtracks" by Jon Acuff represents the first book on my 52 book journey that I haven't read already.  I stumbled upon the book after reading a tweet from a principal in Texas (@Asael_Ruvalcaba).  Mr. R put this book on one of his top books of 2021 lists and I was immediately compelled to give it a shot, and I am happy I did.

"Soundtracks" reminded me of three things:

1) Roughly 15 years ago, I took a graduate course on "leadership and love" from a professor named, Dr. Jones (affectionately nicknamed, Dr. Love).  One thing he said to us that stuck with me was, "When you wake up, you should always start the day by saying, 'Good morning God.'"  It's not as though it was a religious context, but it was an informational statement starting the day with gratitude for all we have.  Acuff eludes to this briefly in his work by referencing the importance of neural genesis - the thought that we create new neural pathways each and every day and this starts with our first thoughts.   

2) When I was studying for my education degree in the 90s, I was introduced to a book titled, "Positive Self-Talk for Children: Teaching Self-Esteem Through Affirmations.  A Guide for Parents, Teachers and Counsellors."  I remember thinking that the ideas were so simple, but often overlooked!  I really believe the same of Acuff's work, but for leaders and everyday life.

3) Finally, Acuff compels us to ask ourselves three critical questions when considering the thoughts we are having: 1) Are they true? 2) Are they helpful? and 3) Are they kind?  If you know anything about Rundle and our values, you'll know that the third question is the one that sticks with me!  Remembering to ask myself if my thoughts are 'kind' will certainly be a critical take-away from "Soundtracks."






Comments