How You End Your Day

is 

How You Started Your Day


My youngest boy woke up this morning at his usual time, 5:45AM.  I had been up for a while, so I had him sit on the couch as I slipped downstairs to prepare his breakfast.  Less than 5 minutes later, I returned to our den and this is what I saw:



At this moment, I had thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if we all felt like a superhero upon waking up?"

Seeing Spiderman on my couch, reminded me of something I read once - perhaps it was in James Clear's "Atomic Habits," or Neil Pasricha's "The Happiness Equation," - to be honest, I can't remember where exactly I stumbled upon the importance of a strong morning routine.  Nevertheless, over the past two years, starting my day the way I want it to end has changed my personal and professional outlook in a profound way.  Here's the essence of my morning routine:

  1. Hydrate (you have been fasting for 7-9 hours and are dehydrated when you wake up)
  2. Don't check email, the news or social media until after the whole routine is done
  3. Exercise (20-45 minutes)
  4. Eat
  5. Learn (listen to an article or a predetermined podcast)
  6. Drink Coffee
  7. Cuddle Superheros

Not for a moment, am I suggesting this routine for all - but I do think a predictable and a scientifically sound approach to the start of the day will get your whole day headed in the right direction... and will ultimately find you in a better place as the day comes to an end!



Comments