Good News Notes - It's the small things in life that have the power to create a huge impact - Guest Post - Mrs. Charity Helman


Image result for thank you notes

It’s the small things in life that have the power to create a huge impact.  

One of the pieces that make Rundle College great, is the ability to create connections and relationships with kids and families.  Over my ten years I spent as an employee at the Junior High, I was lucky to have built some meaningful relationships. Over the years, several cards of thanks, gifts of gratitude and other tokens of appreciation have been a part of those connections, and each one truly appreciated!  

After leaving Rundle College, I continued to work on a “passion project” that focussed on teacher wellness.  I took time to reflect on my own experience and what contributed to my daily wellness while I was in the classroom.  I have spent time sharing my reflections on my blog, BeWellEDU.com.  I truly believe that a huge part of what gave me joy came in the form of the relationships I had built.  A small note saying, “You helped me to enjoy Language Arts and reading!”, or “I will miss you when you are gone!”  is something that has the power to be so meaningful.  On a day that may be tough and trying, I would reread these notes and in doing so, my day would be a little better and a little brighter.

It may not be a note or card, perhaps it is a conversation in the hallway, an excited wave across the parking lot, a graduated student popping in on their former teachers, or a parent email with kind words.  There are numerous small ways that students and their families contribute to teacher wellness, and they likely don’t even realize the significance of their actions.


After leaving Rundle College, I was given a beautiful book of notes and memories and on the days that I was sad and missing the community of Rundle, I would open up the book and smile.  It’s the small things, and believe me - they matter and make a bigger impact than you realize. 



Comments