Be Curious: Podcasts as a professional resource By: Mrs. Wendy Sobey, Head of Student Support

Image result for podcast"


Throughout my career in education, I have always enjoyed learning new things and growing within a profession that is always changing. At one time, my choices for professional growth included  seeing a great speaker or finding books and articles on subjects that I felt would enhance my students’ learning. 

While those things still hold an important place in my growth as an educator, a new love has crept into my world. I am officially passionate about  podcasts! Mr. Rogers is well aware of this and we often share our new finds in the podcast world. If you are intrigued with a subject then there is a podcast just waiting to be downloaded. Some of the most fascinating educators, scientists, doctors, artists and economists (to name a few) are waiting to share insights, stories, strategies, and innovations with their listeners. 

Being a working mom of two requires me to choose my opportunities carefully and listening to podcasts on my walks provides both exercise and an opportunity to learn something new on whatever subject I choose for the day. Much of my interest lies in learning more about how the brain works and how we can better understand the specific learning needs of our students. Specifically, I have focused on executive functioning skills which include things like attention, organization and flexibility which are all skills that need to be taught explicitly for success. Of course, there is actually a podcast entitled The Executive Functioning Podcast, along with other much loved educational podcasts: The Cult of Pedagogy,  TED Talks Education and The Creative Classroom. The most recent topic I enjoyed was entitled 7 Systems That Work for Outside of the Box Learners. Even if you take just one idea, your time is well spent!

Image result for cult of pedagogy"

Comments