Be Curious: Learning to Fail and Succeed - Through the Eyes of Mr. Burla



Image result for exam marks

Looking back on my schooling and how it shaped me is what came to mind when thinking about this topic. 

I struggled in late elementary and junior high with reading and math topics and although there was not really a formal diagnosis where and when I went to school, knowing what I know now I am confident a learning disability would have been a part of my learning profile. 

I was educated in a time where the resource teacher came down the hall to gather me for my extra support time and I absolutely, to this day, remember some of the language exercises I practised. I also remember the anxiety of reading out loud as well as some math test anxiety.

I was lucky I had some truly supportive teachers, one actually being my father. Another was a really flexible high school English teacher who was open to me listening to my novels on cassette (yes, cassettes). 

I choose to view my learning history as a wonderful path that brought me to the Academy. I believe it is why I am so passionate about what we do. I would have been a great fit for our program as a youth and I know, first hand, the success that can happen when the right supports from educators and family are in place.  

Image result for book on tape

Comments