Be Curious: Could micro-credentials compete with traditional degrees?


Image result for micro credentials

Last week the BBC published this article on micro-credentials.  

As industries of the future continue to accelerate - people are starting to wonder if the traditional 4-year degree can keep pace.  I think it is a fair question.  In fact, last week I was visiting my brother in Vancouver and he has long been a senior executive in the tech sector.  I asked him how the market was for intellectual talent.  He was pretty blunt, he said that they had over 50 programming jobs they were unable to fill.  When I asked him, what degree do people need to join his company - he said, 'no degree - they just need to program and demonstrate that they can continue to learn.'  

In reflecting on his comments and the compelling BBC article - I'm left wondering - what will be the most valuable post-secondary learning for the generation to come?

Image result for future ready industry

Comments