Together: The Secrets to Student Leadership at Rundle


On September 24th, I was invited to join both our Rundle College Prefects and Peer Support at their annual kick-off retreats.  I have to say, I am heartened to see these young leaders in action.  They are all keen to find ways to lead in their own way - in ways that will make Rundle an even more incredible place to learn.

For the Peer Support group, my comments came back to Dr. Conklin's words, "Seeing the world through their eyes."  In essence, leading with empathy.  I am confident that under the tutelage of strong leaders like Ms. Spence and Mrs. Dunsford, these compassionate leaders will change our student community for the better!

For the Prefect group, I came back to four 'Leadership Truths' I carry around:

1) In every group there is a leader, if it is not you, ti is someone else.
2) Every leader is different - what is important is authenticity and congruence in your own personal leadership.
3) Owning success and failure, in equal parts, is essential and creates the conditions of support and trust.
4) Together: We are much stronger than if we are apart.

As the session closed, Ms. Conner asked the question, "What do you want your legacy to be?"  As hard as it is to consider this question so early in my career, I come back to the fact that I want to live the mantra: "Rundle Inspires Leaders," but ever broader, I'd love to leave a legacy of kind, caring and compassionate leadership that strives to improve the wellbeing of others.

I'd like to thank our student and staff leaders for creating the conditions for excellence!


Comments