Be Curious: Travelling with Students - Through Ms. Amundson's eyes


Image result for cambodia

Throughout my time at Rundle Academy, my favourite moments have been those shared with students during international travel. Travel not only affords students the opportunity to build strong, meaningful connections with each other but also to experience the world around us outside of the walls of the classroom. 

As educators, we strive to create authentic learning experiences in our classrooms, but nothing can compare to the authenticity of first-hand encounters with other cultures. Watching students navigate and adapt to challenges and unknown circumstances is inspiring for me as a teacher, and I love witnessing how this instills in them flexibility and resilience in a way that nothing else can. 

There is a certain level of controlled risk (and potential for real-world consequences) that cannot be replicated in any other realm. I have had the opportunity to travel with Rundle Academy students to Peru in 2018 and Cambodia in 2019, and the authentic learning that happened on these journeys was invaluable.

Leading these treks which foster grit and deep learning has strengthened my teaching practice and provided me with new ways to connect with my students. 

IMG_2403.jpg

Comments